Thursday, August 16, 2012

When Nothing Else Matters

Poor A...she woke up from her mid-day nap with a fever. 104 to be exact....that was the side she was laying on, on the other side she was 101.9. Right then nothing else mattered...not the lunch I was packing for Hubs, not the fruit I was in the middle of cutting up and the mess on the counter. Right then my whole to-do list was  cast aside and she was my priority.

I quickly gave her Tylenol (the generic type since they are still off the shelf), a cold wash rag and settled in with her on the rocking chair. She cuddled, nursed and allowed me to keep the rag on her head with no issue. Within 30 minutes her fever was 101 on both sides...then 15 minutes later it was 100 and bobbled between 100 and 99 for the next two hours. I followed up with a dose of Advil (we've been thru this with E and I just followed the same procedure). A took her next nap and was asleep for 45 minutes which is about average. The rest of the night we continued the 'routine' and she went to sleep. About an hour into it she was up...but it was to early for anymore meds so I went to the Ora-gel...and minutes later she was alseep.

So it seems pretty clear that A is in the middle of teething...which this will be her first tooth (or teeth). I would love to never give the girls meds...even Tylenol or Advil...that darn reading habit of mine has tainted even these! But when my baby is hurting, crying for relief, I instantly cave and will do anything to help her out.


Big sister, E stepped in and after A's fever broke they played. E brought toys to her and involved her in her make-believe games. What amazed me was that E knew that her baby sister needed me and gave us the space we needed. She came up and cuddled with us but did it in a sweet, "I'm here for you" sort of way.


Tonight may be interesting...I wonder if I will be up all night with A. But I know I can give her relief just by holding her. It's such a great feeling. So who cares if I didn't get thru my to-do list today?! Yes, It's late and I will be up for a while doing laundry, cleaning up the toys and dishes from dinner. But what really matters is that I was here today for my baby girl when she needed me most. I was able to comfort and provide relief. She is getting some much needed rest and will hopefully rest pain-free for the rest of the night.

Sweet dreams baby girl!!

Love Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment