Monday, August 13, 2012

Make it Monday

Man...Monday's just seem to fly by and it's the evening before I get my posts up. Today was a bit odder than normal. E took a super early nap and A was up and down (again). My typical day normal includes the girls taking an afternoon nap at the same time. This gives me time for all my 'pet' projects, including this site. But that wasn't in the stars for today.

But here I am! And I'm sharing a new favorite recipe I came across. Summer is the season for berries and this recipe is great with those berries that are almost over ripened. You know me, no reason to waste anything.

You can substitute any berry or other fruit in this recipe. I've done mixtures of strawberries and blueberries but I see no end to what you could use.

Summer's Berry (Fruit) Bars

1 C quick-cooking oats
1 C flour
2/3 C Brown Sugar (I like dark but either will work)
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t baking soda
1/2C butter (melted)

Stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking soda. Then add in butter until well blended. reserve one cup of mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into ungreased 9*9 baking pan (preferably glass). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven and spread fruit mixture (recipe below), sprinkle with reserved mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for another 20-25 minutes until topping sets. Cool, cut, serve, enjoy!!


Fruit Filling

2 C Fruit (berries, peaches, apples, etc)
2T Sugar
2T Water
1 T Lemon Juice
1/2t Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 8 minutes (or until slightly thickened)

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment