Tuesday, October 9, 2012

'Tis the Season!

(Title compliments of our friend Sarah!)

I swear my kiddos are not ALWAYS sick...but if you've followed along this blog you may think that they are. In actuality, they are rarely sick...and when they are they quick, I mean super quick to heal and are back to their normal life.

Well today they both are sick. Our dear niece/cousin had her birthday party (which was amazing) and my sis-on-law let us know that yesterday she feel ill...and our girls will probably be next. Welcome to 5a.m this morning....Emily was in our bed trying to sleep while sitting up. Then later in the day Abby fell victim too. The culprit?! Major runny nose, Emily just got a fever and the girls can't get comfy enough to sleep.

Emily started the day great...even putting on a Halloween mask while she ate her breakfast.


Then I knew I HAD to get out to pick up supplies for this oncoming cold. I thought I still had some left over from last year but of course when I need them I can't find them. So instead of tearing the place apart I
decided to go and get some more.

On our trip there Emily fell asleep within moments of leaving home. This is not like her, she hardly ever sleeps in the car. She insists on seeing everything but I have to imagine that her cozy seat made her comfy enough (and she could breathe). Both girls were asleep when I parked at Target so I decided to stay in the car and wait until they woke up...45 minutes later.


Once everyone was awake we made our way inside. Emily was becoming more and more miserable by the moment. Others looked at me like I was crazy (you know...get the heck out of here with those sick kids look), but what else could I do? I had to take the girls with me to get the stuff we needed. I kept them in the cart to avoid them touching everything and they did decide to open a box of graham crackers and share. How adorable...even when they are sick!


So what is on my list when the girls are sick? I like to be prepared for anything...because well,

  1. I have 2 kiddos 17 months apart, so both will probably be sick. 
  2. Hubby works insane schedules and I can't count on him to be around for me to run out if I need something else.


I approach colds, flus and the such a few different ways...one with over the counter and the second more of a "natural" way.

Here is my OCC supplies:

Infant Generic Tylenol, Toddle Advil, Saline Spray, and Boogie Wipes
*while writing this I realize that the saline spray and boogie wipes should be in the natural section. Oops.

The Boogie wipes are awesome (I bought 3 big containers today!), no red/chapped noses in this house! The Advil/Generic Tylenol is for fever and pain. Emily almost always gets a fever when she is sick. And it's hit or miss on the Saline Spray, Emily hates it but if she is getting really dry I figure out how to give it to her. I recommend the swaps, I should have gotten those today but I didn't. Neither girl minds those and they work just as well.

Here is my natural supplies:

Peppermint Oil, Sweet Echincea,  Chamomile Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil

Okay, I had ALL of this on hand. I add to our collection a little at a time. Here is how I use it.

Peppermint Oil  (just 1 drop) diluted in Grapeseed Oil or unscented lotion...rub this on the bottom of your feet and put on some socks...you will be breathing easier in just minutes!!

Sweet Echinecea...1 ml in the girls water. Helps to get that immune system in overdrive! I try to give this to them before events that they be around other people who are sick, and I really believe this is part of the reason they don't get sick too often.

Chamomile Oil...I need to do a full post just on this, we love this oil and use it everyday...multiple times a day. But for colds I put some in their vaporizer mixed with tea tree and it helps sooth the girls to sleep. It also goes in the oils for nightly rubs and their bubble baths!

The last three (tee tree, rosemary and lemon) oils is a recipe from our old nanny. Mix 1-2 drops each of this with grapeseed oil (about 1/4 cup) and rub all over. This makes enough for a few rubs. The mixture helps to draw out the nasty mucus.

You may or may not believe in this method, but it works for us!

The last on our list...is a mixture of what I forgot to take a picture off. Hehe.

Bubblebath, bugger sucker and good ole vicks

We love California Baby Bubble Bath and they have a eucalyptus version especially good for stuffy noses. The girls enjoyed a nice, warm relaxing bubble bath before bed then the buggies were sucked out (eww...Emily hates it...Abby enjoys it!) and then a little Vicks on the chest.


In their room the vaporizer is going and the girls are all snug!

On top of all of this is making them comfy, happy and distracted. I treated them to Chinese tonight which everyone loved. We painted, colored, read books, sang and danced all day! And Emily and I watched Madagascar 2 before bed. We even danced during the movie. I have the most adorable video of her doing one of the dances that I hope the share soon. Yes, this sick little girl was dancing up a storm (a few different times mind you). These girls are just so sweet, even when sick!

The result?! It's 10pm, Abby feel asleep around 8:30 out 1.5 hours later than normal and Emily went out around 9:30 also about 1.5 hours later. I'm watching them on the monitor and they seem peaceful. I'm sure I will be up tonight but that's okay.

And believe it or not, I did ask for help. I called my Mom tonight to ask her to do a very light grocery run for me tomorrow. My sis-in-law says day 2 is worse than day 1 and I have a feeling that Hubby has it too. The girls are craving fruits right now and our fridge is pretty empty. I should have gone today but didn't ( I don't know why). Grandma offered to come over to watch the girls while I went out but I doubt they will let me out of their sights. So it looks like I will need to make a list for her and thank her a millions times for all that she does for us!!!

Love,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment